So today my heart sunk when I tried to log into the vRA 7 IaaS portal and was presented with this lovely message:
Now, I had just recently attempted an upgrade of vRA 7.0.1 to 7.1 and failed miserably (more on that in a later post) so I had to roll back all of my changes (reverting snapshots, etc.) and brought all the services back. All seemed fine until I tried to log into the IaaS portal.
One of the first things I checked was the services registration on the vRA VAMI interface (Services tab). I thought perhaps the order of events of the rollback had skewed something. I observed the following:
So clearly something was afoot. I did a little digging and came across the following KB article:
The interesting thing here, is that just a few hours before, I added a proxy server to the VAMI configuration in order to get the updates I needed from https://vapp-updates.vmware.com. As per the KB article I inspected the following log file: